Monday 14 November 2016

Loi Krathong

Yesterday was Loi Krathong which is a festival celebrated mainly in the South of Thailand.  The festival involves making a Krathong, using banana stalk, folded leaves, incense sticks and a candle.  On the night of the full moon in November Thias launch their krathong on a river, canal or pond making a wish as they do so.  The floating Krathong symbolizes letting go of one's hatred and anger.
I made two yesterday in school, one for Luis and one for me.  We went down to the running lake near by to take part in the festivities.  What a beautiful tradition it is.







I am not really sure how the wishes work, but I am assuming like birthday ones and I cannot tell what I wished for. I tried to sneak in two as well, which also might be a bit greedy but they are two fairly important ones so I took my chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment