Wednesday 9 November 2016

A Sad Sad Day

I was not going to post anything about this but as I told the students yesterday I think the day goes down in history, not how I had hoped it would, but it will.  I want to be able to read back one day and hopefully see that all my predictions and fears that I have now were wrong.  Also, I thought if I had a rant here I may stop feeling the need to argue with people to no avail that believe that Donald Trump is the right man (and yes I think it particularly had to be a man) to be the next so called leader of the so called free world.
Yesterday as the results came in I was angry, shocked, scared, and over all sad. And I know there are many root causes to look at to see how this happened and I imagine we will hear all about them for some time..  Lack of education, social media becoming peoples main source of information, lack of trust in politicians, and so on and so on.  But it does not diminish the fact that the United States of America just voted in a self proclaimed abuser of women (grab 'em in the ....), a racist, a climate change denier, a tax avoider, fraudster... as the President of the United States.
This morning I had some very intelligent questions from 15 year old girls about how this happened.   One girl asked me if America really hates women so much that you could be elected as President after being accused of sexually assaulting 13 women.  The boys in the room chided in and said LOADS of women make false accusations against men, and we cannot just believe them.  The race issue then came up, his words against Latinos and blacks in particular and again there was rhetoric defending this.  This is what the younger highly educated (would argue that this is the best school I have worked in) generation believe, this is what they have taken from this election.  
It is a sad day.  And I hope to hell that this election does not impact the entire world in the way that I predict it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment