Friday 12 June 2015

Ecuador Unrest

Okay, here is a real, no gloating about my great email post.  This is the fifth country I have lived in and none before has the country been so politically charged (except possibly Canada during Quebec's referendum for Independence).  Since I have been living here, exactly ten months, there have been massive amounts of demonstrations and political unrest.  The President has introduced some pretty unpopular laws (with the middle and upper class) and addition to changes to the constitution (unlimited Presidency, before was two terms).  The latest law he is passing has caused four days of major demonstrations across the country, an inheritance tax of up to 77%.  Both pro government and anti-government have taken to the streets, one in support and one against it.  
 Police line to separate the two.  If you were on the pro government side you got free sandwiches and the Ecuador vs Chile football match was shown to you on big TV screen. 
 The masses
I am all about social equality and bridging the huge gap but I am not sure he is going about it in all the right ways (his twitter feeds pitting poor against rich, the changing of constitution and an import tax which have left exports hurting) but I am also not going to pretend I know nearly enough or lived here long enough to understand the political situation to make any huge statements.  I do think this country is under going major change and I think it is very necessary to somehow close the huge gap, I just hope it manages to do so peacefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment