Wednesday 11 May 2016

Uncle Tono

In some ways this is the hardest post I have had to write and other ways the easiest.  Hardest because a great man is lost to us today, an Uncle that I have adored and been so proud to call my Uncle my whole life.  But the easiest as I have so many wonderful memories that I could write and when I think of all of them they make me smile. This whole week I have been remembering such wonderful times.  I remember, probably 8 or 9 years ago being in my local pub in Bruton with Uncle Tono commentating a cricket match in the back ground on Sky.  We had all had a glass of wine or two and the other regulars bet me I could not get him to send us a greeting on air.  Well I got his cell number and called him in Jamaica, of course he told me not to be ridiculous.  But then went right on air and said a shout out to his niece and her friends in The Sun Inn Bruton, which besides just being fabulous earned me free drinks all day.  I was not surprised at all as I knew that that is what Uncle Tono is like.  
I cannot even count how many friends I have had come to stay at One Acre over the years and how much all of them adored his stories and humour.  The out pouring of love from them and so many others today and around the world has been tremendous.  
He was a legend,  and not just because of cricket because of the man and Uncle he was.  He will be greatly missed by me and all.

These were taken at his 75th birthday/50th wedding anniversary last summer, what a day to remember, among many.  I just hope Uncle Tono where your journey has taken you now that they have a lot of ice cream and maybe a few rums.

No comments:

Post a Comment