Sunday 15 May 2016

Family Healing

I am a big believer in the power of family, the strength you draw from each other and the bond that you have.  I am very lucky to have one of the closest families I have ever known (as one would have seen over the years on this blog) and at the time of loss we pull together even tighter.  I am so happy to be here with them, remembering, sharing and laughing over the million stories we each have about Uncle Tono.  Everyone wants to share their story and express how special he was to them, and of course this extends to his millions of other close friends around the world.  Every night the house is full of people, the phone rings from morning to night, the fridge is stocked with food and flowers, the tributes are pouring in.  It is truly amazing and a testament to a great man.

 These are almost all the first cousins.  I am so happy that Nicola was able to come from the UK.  It will be a proper send off to Uncle Tono on Friday with all of us there.


I also know that family comes in all shapes and forms and does not necessarily mean you are blood related.  There are many people here that I consider in my family and love just the same.  The week before Uncle Tono died another great man passed away way before his time, Bunny Manning.  Bunny Manning, was one of the kindest, friendliest, funniest man I have ever met and he also produced one of the most special and kindest friends I have, Nadia Manning-Thomas.  I was shocked to hear of his passing and saddened that I could not be here with her, just to hug here when she needed and tell her in person how much I love her.  And then a week later we are hugging and having that talk.  Of course, we are both here under terrible circumstances and would much rather be at our respective homes (hers France, mine Quito) and meeting at my wedding next month instead, but I am still glad I got to give her that hug and meet her precious (huge) son, Zemi.







No comments:

Post a Comment