Tuesday 19 April 2016

Earthquake Update

We have made it back to Quito and our new Danish children are staying with us. It has been great to have them here, it is keeping me busy and we have been through something that will bond us forever.
The relief efforts going to the Coast have been amazing.  Luis's sister's friend had organised trucks to go to Canoa and we sent loads of supplies with them.  I just so wish we could go back too.  I feel so strange and sad here and just want to be there.  I wish I had skills that they needed, as right now they do not want unskilled people there.
Canoa's death toll has risen to 50 (total Coast 500) and 80% of the town is destroyed.  It has been evacuated and loads of aid and rescue workers have arrived.
Through Facebook I found out that the man in the hotel survived but unlikely he kept a leg.  I am still trying to hunt down Dominica.
The people of Ecuador have been amazing and they are all pulling together at this horrible time.  It has been another tearful day, and sure this will continue for some time as we hear more updates from the Coast.

These are a few images of Canoa now.  Words cannot describe how devastating this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment