Friday 27 July 2012

My Beach in Basel

Every morning I watch BBC morning before starting my day and for the last few months I have heard the same bad news about the weather.  Day after day about how it has been the worst April, May, June, about the horrible floods and the general frustration of the public.  And then on Monday morning, after a beautiful weekend in the UK, I listened to the same broadcasters complaining about the heat, that plus thirty is just unbearable, blah blah.  Now although I always want it to be hot and would never complain, I did sympathise a bit with the woman complaining.  As when it is baking hot, it is hard to get relief, there is very little air conditioning, homes do not have ceiling fans, there are very few outdoor swimming pools, so really unless you live by the water it can become fairly uncomfortable.  Which brings me to the purpose of this blog, the last week has been boiling here in Basel, and I think people here would suffer the same fate if it were not for the Rhine.  It is just magical in the summer, I love going to sit by it, dip my feet in it and if feeling really brave swim in it.  It really reminds me of being at one big beach party (minus the sand, salt water and palm trees of course).  There are hundreds of people floating down the river, or suntanning on the side, loads of BBQ's, the bars are full, they have a stage set up in the water for bands to play, and a really vibrant atmosphere.  So last night, when it was still 33 degrees at 8 at night, a group of us naturally headed to the Rhine.








No comments:

Post a Comment