Friday 12 August 2016

Bombs in Phuket

Yesterday morning I woke up to a phone call from my Dad, we chatted for a bit and he mentioned he read there were a couple of bombings in the South of Thailand.  Although I had not seen the news yet I assured him that most of the past violence in Thailand has not been targeted at tourist areas so Phuket would be fine.  I got off the phone and checked the news to find that, possibly during our conversation, there had been certainly one but possibly two bombings in Patong (a popular tourist destination in Phuket), a short drive from us. In fact we spent some time on the beach there last weekend.   Thankfully, we are fine and actually I am not even sure of what the damage has been in Patong, and I am not sure we will find out any time soon, as we are sticking to our local quiet beaches for a bit.
These seem to be in response to the referendum that was held here last weekend.  The result has given the military quite a lot of power for the next few years.  Having been here only five minutes and knowing next to nothing about Thai history and politics I have no opinion on the result.  But I do know that I will not have much to say on Thai politics on here, I am not sure it is a wise move.

No comments:

Post a Comment