Tuesday 22 December 2015

Real City Tours, Medellin

I love this city! Cannot believe I am here and just think it is an amazing place (in my short time here). I started off my Medellin adventure by taking a free walking tour today. What a fabulous introduction to a beautiful and extremely interesting city. It is hard to believe, as you walk around the city that not long ago it was the most dangerous city in the world. It is quite amazing really and gives hope to all cities that have violent crime that it can change.
Our tour guide today was amazing, I know so much more about Colombia and its history and what led it to being such a violent place (starting long before drug cartels). The people here are the friendliest and most beautiful I have ever seen in a city. People kept welcoming us to their city, thankful that tourism is helping their economy and reputation.
Of course the city is far from perfect, poverty is still evident as is the sex trade with women and children. We walked by a church today with many ladies standing in telephone booths beside it. Apparently their pimps will walk the man asking and 'his' girl to a neighbouring motel. He will then come back to the church, go in, ask for forgiveness and start all over. Blinking crazy and definitely these things need to change.
A tour well worth taking if you come here, was definitely worth my little sun burn and few blisters.


The last picture was of a sculpture that was blown up in the nineties during a concert killing 22 people. They have left it there as a reminder of the past, so people do not forget. Beside it they have made a replica sculpture to also help people see that now it is all about looking towards the future. (the picture was lost when I lost most of them)

No comments:

Post a Comment