Saturday 8 August 2015

Pichincha, Quito

With only a handful of Karen hours left and a beautiful sunny day we decided to do something I have wanted to since arriving, go up Pichincha.  Pichincha volcano is what I wake up to every morning and sit and look at on my veranda almost every evening.  It has magnificent views of the entire city (well so I had heard) and Luis always goes on about how we should go, but we never manage it.  Well yesterday coupled with my desire to be the best hostess ever we finally made it up.  We took the cable car up and then hiked around taking in the views and of course some pictures.
 Beautiful views

 We made it past this, but last screen shot of our altitude
It makes me giggle at the airport and up places this high, that people just do not realise high altitudes are cold.  When I arrived from Miami last month at 11pm, loads were wearing t-shirts and shorts and looked generally shocked when everyone in arrivals were in huge coats.  Same here, Quito was beautiful yesterday but this is 1000m's higher, some people were just not prepared. We were.
I never realised how huge Quito is, East to West not big at all.  I can see right across to the other side, 20 minute drive.  But North to South it is massive, I could not believe how much bigger the city is then I thought.  I really in truly have only seen 15% of this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment