Saturday 26 May 2012

Run to Romania

I am not sure there is a word to describe my first day in Bucharest. I am also unsure that my pictures have the ability to express this either... I have been so excited to come home here, I have grown up with three different nationalities influences but all have had a fairly stable history compared to many. I find it so amazing and interesting that Maria and Raluca spent part of their life growing up in a Communist country and I have been so excited to come and learn more through a Romanians perspective. And my first night left me speechless (and this rarely if ever happens to me). The night started off celebrating Maria's Mum's 50th birthday at a fabulous traditional restaurant, a restaurant that apparently has not changed over time, it is a place full of atmosphere and history. We then left Maria's brothers and step father and went to a night club. It was a normal night club, with music you would imagine in any night club across the world, until the live music started. A band came on that were huge in the eighties, a band that sang songs about a different Romania. The atmosphere, pride and electricity of the place was just amazing, everyone was up and singing, I really felt I was witnessing something very special. You could feel just how proud these people are, of their country, of how far they have come in the past two decades, it was absolutely inspiring. You know I would usually be the first to say go to the beach for your family or your holiday, I am one always looking at going South to laze in the sun. But I think I have learnt more in one day of this mini trip, then any other holiday, so this year my suggestion is skip your usual holiday hot spot and come to Romania (and actually they have the sea side as well)...

Me and mini prosecco

 Gabriella (my history teacher and personal shopper!) and big prosecco
 Maria and mum (who has adopted me!)
 Beer tap on table, fabulous!

 The entertainment


This parrot chose my fortune..

1 comment:

  1. I am waiting to see you looking fabulous in that outfit... cannot say more, it has to be a surprise for everyone :*
    I am verry happy that you were so excited about your visit here and hopefully you will come back soon!

    ReplyDelete