Tuesday 22 May 2012

Mathematics

If you have a child, are ever thinking of having a child, have any influence over children or just interested in education then this is a post I think you should read.  I have now taught Mathematics for almost four years, which in the whole scheme of things is obviously not a long time, but I think long enough to realise a few key things. 
1) never let your child fall into a bottom set (if this is an option in your school system), if they struggle at Maths, then work with them, get a tutor, do what it takes.  Mathematics is not difficult, it will however become very difficult if they fall into this set.
2)  Never tell your child or a child that it is okay to struggle at Maths because you did or that not everyone is good at Maths.  It is simply either not true or not helpful.  Children rise to a challenge and encouragement.  Believe in them and they will shock you.
3)  Mathematics is not all about numbers, it teaches logic, problem solving, it is very creative and can be a lot of fun.  Further it is a key skill that is valuable for life no matter if you end up flipping burgers at McDonald's or CEO of a world wide corporation.
I recently shared an article with the Mathematics department about China becoming the cleverest country.  I thought this was the most crucial bit to my teaching but also important to share.

There were also major cultural differences when teenagers were asked about why people succeeded at school.
"North Americans tell you typically it's all luck. 'I'm born talented in mathematics, or I'm born less talented so I'll study something else.'
"In Europe, it's all about social heritage: 'My father was a plumber so I'm going to be a plumber'.
"In China, more than nine out of 10 children tell you: 'It depends on the effort I invest and I can succeed if I study hard.'
"They take on responsibility. They can overcome obstacles and say 'I'm the owner of my own success', rather than blaming it on the system."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17585201

So please encourage your children to develop the attitudes found in China, they can do anything they put their mind to.

3 comments:

  1. Yes I agree totally motivation and attitude are about 80% given some basic ability about 20%.

    In an ideal world (never will be) I think organisations projects etc. would run much better if the unmotivated bad attitude folk were paid to stay home. Overall rfficiency effectivity and conyrntment would go way up,

    Gus
    PS I was Bob at GE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your website is so nice....You can visit my website anytime when you feel free..
    https://mathematicscu.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your website is so nice....Visit my website anytime....
    https://mathematicscu.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete