Friday 11 May 2018

SOS Village

I think tragedy leads to some big self reflection, well or should I say it leads me to self reflection, I should not speak for others.  I have wondered what the whole point is, what my path will be now if different from the one I imagined and what sort of positive impact I am having on the world, if any.  All wonderfully positive thoughts, that I deep down know are a direct result of the loss I am feeling and it will get better.  At the same time some self reflection is not a bad thing and maybe I do need to look at a few things in my life.  One of the things that has always bugged me about International teaching is that I am not really impacting the children that I really wanted too.  However, from my last post I am happy that I seemed to be remembered fondly at the very least by one student!
Well yesterday I had my first day with the SOS Village children, a very local orphanage.   Well I say local as this one is close in proximity to the school but there are SOS Villages all over the world.  I think they are a great organisation, started over 50 years ago by a man travelling in South America who was shocked and saddened about the amount of street children he saw.  He wanted to create a different type of place for children with family that are unable to care for them, and he has done an amazing job.  The children are placed in a house, with a house mother (who is pretty much a saint and makes this her life and family) and a handful of other children.  This becomes their family and they stay there until they leave school.  It is a lovely place with about ten different houses.  I will be with the young children once a week with some of our students just to do crafts and play and eat together.  It is not much but I loved my first day and just fell in love with these kids.  





They had so much fun, but I am not sure nearly as much as I did.  I am very excited to get more and more involved with this organisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment