Tuesday 10 January 2017

Converted Insurer

I use to never ever get insurance on rented cars, but this experience has ended that.  On Monday, I had to take the day off work to spend the entire day at the Kata Police Station to sort out the car.  It was actually like a comedy sketch only slightly amusing to me as I was not in trouble (not that I was amused because people were but more about the whole day).  My Dad recently read this book about how the human brain works illogically and that we need to train it to think in a logical manner.  Well this was a day full of evidence of this, every decision made and way of thought had definitely not been thought through.  The poor Russian couple who hit us had no insurance and every party was waiting for them at the police station to cash in. My insurance company would not fix my car unless they did pay up as I do not have comprehensive insurance (not allowed due to the age of the car).  They did not get insurance for the bike they were driving so the owner was there too.  The police were holding their passports till they paid it.  But they were not happy as they wanted a huge amount without a mechanic even seeing my car.  But I tried to stay uninvolved as at the end of the day we really cannot afford our car not being fixed.  We left before it all got sorted and I must admit I was pretty worried about what the outcome would be.  Luis went by the supermarket parking lot yesterday where it eventually broke down and it is gone.  So here is hoping my insurance company towed it to be fixed and not the supermarket that towed it to the dump.
The long and short of it, is I felt very badly for the Russians.  Yes, it was their fault and a huge pain in the ass for me but it must have been pretty scary when the police withheld their passports enforcing a huge payment.  I am not even sure they would have made their flight as they could not take out 2000 pounds cash in one day from the bank machine.  And the one thing I learned is a) always turn into the right lane b) never drive a bike again and c) always opt for the insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment