Tuesday 17 June 2014

Maths Farewell

I guess every department in a school is special and full of unique personalities but I really think none quite as much as Mathematics. Possibly it is simply down to the fact that it is usually one of the largest departments in a school but I think it is a little more than that. You have the geniuses, the very hard workers posing as geniuses, and then the people like me who work enough and get by (and I actually think that all of those types can be equally as good teachers, depends on how they deliver). Also there is very different schools of thought when it comes to teaching mathematics, setting (levelling the classes) versus differentiating in a class (clearly the way forward!), teaching a little of everything every year versus a full year of algebra and then calculus etc. And with a huge department with people from all over the world, we can have very different opinions. But that makes us great, we spend many a meeting 'discussing' the way forward and it can get passionate at times, but it is because we are all fighting for what we believe is best for the kids.
I am leaving ISB after three years, a place where I have learnt a tremendous amount from my colleagues and also about my teaching. But more than that I am leaving a department full of amazing people who are always supporting each other with all issues, in or out of school.
Last night we came together to celebrate this and say good bye to the five of us leaving. Florian and Steph hosted a fabulous BBQ (a meat eaters dream), it was really nice to all get together and I really am going to miss working with this bunch.
Thank you to everyone and remember there is always room in Quito.

No comments:

Post a Comment