Saturday 24 March 2012

The Importance of the Letter B

My father made a speech last year at his 70th birthday party about the importance of the letter B in his life and also our family.  I could never attempt to say it the way he did but a short summary is as follows: He was born in Brighton UK, raised a family in Brookville ON, his wife was from Bridgetown Barbados, his daughters both lived in Bruton UK (where he made this speech and a place he loves), his youngest now lives in Bristol UK, I now live in Basel CHF and his girlfriend is from Boston.  This speech was so effective that when I was thinking that I may go to South America one day to teach I actually looked up cities that began with B.  Anyways, when I first moved here I was not totally convinced that Basel was worthy of the 'B' status.   Probably because it was a big change for me, and I felt a bit out of depth.   However, I was wrong and I now realise how much I love the city.  I am not sure when this happened, possibly when I was walking Lola yesterday and wandered into France, or the other day when I was on a similar walk but ended up in Germany. Or the trams, or the surrounding mountains, or the fact that every time I walk in the city something different is going on, or my school, or my kids, or my great friends.  Or the simple fact that it is Spring and beautiful (happier in the warmth).  My guess is that it is a combination of all those factors and probably more, either way I can now say for certainty that Basel is more than worthy of the honour of starting with the letter 'B'.




2 comments:

  1. Also I went to school in Brighton and then worked as an apprentice in Birmingham before going to Bristol University. Love from DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus you'll be visiting Bucharest in May!

    ReplyDelete