Friday 1 December 2017

Uncle Ian

It has probably been one of the longest weeks of my life.  I cannot believe I have only been back in Canada for a week.  It has been like being on a very bad rollercoaster ride, every day, actually every hour things seem to change.  Luckily, Dad has so many loved ones that want to help out and visit that me and Nicola are never really alone.  This past week Karen his fiancee came and also his first cousin Ian flew in from a small island in British Columbia.  I do not think I had ever met Ian (who is actually now known affectionally  as Uncle Ian) before or at least at an age I can remember.  It was so lovely to have him here and hear his stories about my Dad and his family back in the UK.  He brought photos for Dad and us to look at and gave us a small glimpse of life for my Dad as a child.
 My Dad was able to join us for lunch on one of the days Ian was here which was great.
 Freda just loved Uncle Ian.

 When my father was 11, his older brother was killed in a submarine accident at the age of only 21.  Although, I always knew this I did not appreciate the impact it had on my fathers life.  I also did not realise what a big incident it was, front page news at the time and loads of theories of what happened and how it happened.  It was the biggest Naval loss of life in peace time, 75 people killed.  My sister, had given this book to my father a few years back, his brother is even mentioned in it.  Definitely a book I need to read.
Dad is not always up and about, but he is a fighter.  This is a picture from last night, Dad and his girls.  Love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment