Wednesday 19 April 2017

Final Thoughts

Our last day in Myanmar was beautiful, we just cycled around, ate great food and had a lovely day.  There are a few places that I have traveled that have had a lasting effect on me, Ethiopia and Cuba are two trips that definitely left a mark and now Myanmar.  I do not think I have ever come across a country full of more helpful, happy and friendly people.  Even the street dogs, and there were a lot, were super friendly. Not once did one bark at us or show fear, they all came over wagging their tails. Which shows they have not been taught to fear humans (very unlike many other places I have been).  
Before traveling there we did have to ask ourselves was it the right thing to do. Even though there have been improvements there, there are still horrific human rights violations going on today and I knew a lot of the money we spent would fall into the wrong pockets.  But I think we made the right decision. People need hope, they need to feel pride in their country and they need an income.  We tried very hard to put our money right in the hand of the locals, not always possible but we did our best.







I loved cycling everywhere, through the pagodas of Bagan and the mountains of Inle Lake, I think cycling will be a new feature of all our holidays.  I am happy to be home to see Lola who we missed loads and our wonderful dog sitters (and now friends for life) but will miss this place a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment