Monday 17 October 2016

Trash and Monkies

We have woken up to a fairly rainy day on our last day on the island.  But what a lovely time we have had.


 We have mainly relaxed, read, ate, played some games and well just enjoyed some down time.
But I did spend some time reflecting on the terrible trash situation here and well everywhere (I say this as 80% of the trash that washes up here is not Thai).  Everyday masses amount of trash washes up on the beach and the hotel staff spend numerous hours cleaning it up.  But of course just what we can see, you walk a little down the beach into the woods and there is loads more.  It made me think of a conversation I had with a student the other day about me being veggie.  It was actually a very intelligent thoughtful conversation.  He asked me at one point if I did not believe we were the dominant more intelligent species on the planet.  We debated this for some time.  But looking around these beaches, I can see we are definitely the most selfish, greedy, ignorant species on the planet.  On the way here we saw numerous boats just dumping their trash in the sea, it just makes me so blinking angry.  I was here only three years ago, and I can really say it is much worse. What will it be like in three more?
But not to let this spoil our holiday we found what we believe is probably a more intelligent animal.  Well they did not seem to be polluting and killing the planet they call home, instead they were just all playing and having fun.
 There were so many of them and they were great to watch.
 They were hugging and kisses and play fighting at times.

 They were not scared of us, but certainly disappointed that we had no food to offer them.  
We will now enjoy our last breakfast here, get in a game of ping pong, read a little and then go pick up Lola Cola!  Cannot wait to spend the rest of the week with my girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment