Thursday 7 March 2024

International Women's Day

I am not sure if it is because I am getting older and wiser but now I just see how far behind women are from achieving any thing resembling equality.  Possibly in other decades I was busy with work, starting a family or I am not really sure why but now it is so glaringly obvious every day.  Yesterday, I found out an ex colleague of mine had been given a Headship of a school.  He started the year after me in one of my previous schools.  He was infamous for coming in smelling of booze and somedays it was questioned if not straight from a bar.  Within a year he was promoted, and within five he has gone through the ranks and been given a school to Head next year.  I then thought of so many other examples of the same thing, and I thought of all the people I have worked with, most of my women friends have stayed in the same jobs or been given a token middle managed positions over the years, whereas many males have progressed through management.  I am passed over all the time, in meetings my opinions or thoughts are looked over and I know most people are totally unaware of it.  This might be my experience as my subject if usually dominated by male teachers but I suspect it is not.  This morning I presented a riddle to the students where the answer was the CEO was a women.   And still no one got the answer.  But I cannot fault them, yesterday I was looking at a Maths blog by Dr. Austin, and I assumed wrongly she was a man.  When will it change?! Will it change?!  I am certainly going to do my bit by trying to educate Sebastian on the issue.  Anyways... Happy International Women's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment