Sunday 15 October 2023

Leeches, Leeches and more Leeches

Sometimes I think I was unlucky to be caught in Moscow during the shut down of aviation, or in a devastating earth quake, robbed at gun point, arrive to my new home in a hurricane, or be trapped in Istanbul airport for days on the end.  There are other days where I think I might bring these things upon myself.  Today was that day.  I decided we were going to hike a trail through the jungle, no guide, no proper gear, nothing.  Now to be fair to me I did research the trail I chose and it said easy/moderate and flat.  I have no idea what their bench mark was but I can assure you it was neither of these.  One, it was barely a path, and two it was certainly not easy.  Sebastian knew from the get go that this was a bad idea and made me carry him (this turned out to be a huge relief).   We got about 25 inutes in before I knew we had to turn back before a snake or something else got us.  But too late that something else was already crawling over Luis and unbeknownst to me, all over me.  Leeches, the fastest leeches I have ever seen.   We turned around and got out pretty fast.  Sebastian was sure we were dying.  We made it to the car, stripped down, cleared ourselves of leeches and eventually laughed about it.  They were tiny ones and Sebastian was clear.  It made the adventure all more the adventure.

The rest of the day was amazing with a visit to Granmonte vineyard.  This is where I took the ladies last year for wine club weekend.  Again, I loved it.  And then back for the campfire.  Oh and I forgot to add we switched to a smaller tent with no bathroom and we loved it.  It was much more like real camping without having to put up or take down the tent.  And a fraction of the cost.  It was a great few days.




Cheers to survival and being back at the campsite.





Our new digs.




Sebastian doing a grape tasting.




Finishing a great day on the balcony.  A fabulous time had by all. Some videos below!

Before we knew the extent of the leech problem.
Five minutes later we were all laughing.
And well I just love this one!









No comments:

Post a Comment