Monday 23 March 2020

Blog Apology

I must readdress a recent post about Coronavirus, as upon rereading it sounds crazy insensitive and inappropriate.  Since I have had Sebastian I write things when I can, very quickly and often not with the same thought I put into it before.  I must first say I realise that the Coronavirus situation is beyond serious and will have mass implications across the world for probably years.  I know it is not something to be taken lightly.  I am worried for my friends and family I am not with, I worry about what will happen in Barbados a densely populated small island, I worry about Ecuador and Luis's family, I worry about being so far from my sister and her family and how this will end.  It is going to be devastating for so many reasons to so many families, industries and well basically no one will leave this untouched whether they get the virus or not.  I know the situation in Europe is absolutely devastating as it has been in China, South Korea, and other nations for the last few months and will be across the world in weeks to come.  My point was merely how things were reported and what this causes.  Fighting in shops over toilet paper, panic buying, stockpiling guns, blaming people for the spread of the virus is not helpful.  And I do think the way news is presented to the public helps cause this.  But again, this is my blog and my opinion so definitely not fact.  I also think everyone needs to be careful to know everyone's story before judging.  I see a lot of blaming on social media and the judgment of people's choices without asking why they made them.  We took the difficult choice to fly across the world for personal reasons but it was not a decision taken lightly and with lots of tears.  We did not want to put ourselves, our son or our loved ones here at risk but on balance we felt we needed to be here and close to Ecuador.   
I do worry tremendously for all countries and people and especially countries that do not have big incomes behind them.  I deeply apologise to all the people across Europe and North America and the world if I seemed insensitive in my earlier posts.  That was certainly not my intention, I suspect most of the world will be on some sort of lockdown soon and I hope we learn something from Europe as not sure we learned from Asia when we had the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment