Tuesday 14 April 2015

Football Madness

Last night I went to my second football match in Quito, this time Barcelona (not the real one) and another Quito team. Luis is a huge Barcelona fan so our gringo group sat in this notoriously rowdy, potentially dangerous section. It was way better than the neutral section, lots of singing, chanting and like a lot of places here where I am meant to feel unsafe, I did not.




As we knew that after the game we would not be able to leave for some time to avoid fights between fans, we tried to sneak out two minutes early.  But we were to late and were already blockaded off, and in this one minute when we tried to leave, we missed the only goal. Quito scored (Luis was a little thankful he missed this moment).


But being trapped was the best part of my evening (I was able to calm everyone down, as I am well trained on being held against my will, after the 'time' I served in Moscow a few years ago ;)), it was good fun watching the police gracefully dodge the wee filled bottles being tossed at them (which of course I do not encourage at all).

No comments:

Post a Comment