Monday 29 December 2014

A Little Respect

I get so irritated when people do things on holiday that they would never do at home, from safety issues to matters of respect. I understand that you let your guard down on holiday but really think it is important to stop and ask yourself, would I do this back in London, Toronto, or Berlin let alone a place you are new too. There is no doubt that this is certainly paradise but people live, work and have regular lives here, something some (albeit a minority) seem to forget.


I was in the supermarket yesterday when a tourist and her family came in to shop, wearing just bikini bottoms. And just to be clear we are not talking about a small shop on the beach or a corner shop this is a proper big supermarket. Everyone's reaction was pretty funny and she eventually got asked to leave. I mean really, would you ever go to Tesco's, Loblaws or Aldi wearing only your bikini bottoms! So please think when you are on holiday, do not walk alone at night in unfamiliar cities, skinny dip in an unknown sea and location and for heavens sake put some clothes on to shop.

(and no picture out of respect for her!)

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree about shopping in bikini bottoms (a no-no). But "don't walk alone at night" -- men and women walk alone at night all the time, in their home country and abroad. It is something that is almost impossible to avoid. And it's important for everyone to have access to public space, at night or during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I you are right and I should have qualified what I meant in more detail. I have to walk alone every night with Lola in Quito, which does have safety issues, but I know what those are in would use extra caution in certain areas. When on holiday in a strange place I think you need to have extra care at night if you do not know where these areas exist and are. I see no reason for people to be walking alone on a beach at night from dinner or a bar or whatever (and I see this). And I do not mean just here, anywhere, at home it may be impossible to avoid but taking extra risks in foreign lands I think is unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Apologies for typos in comment, I make even more on an iPad and unlike in the post cannot change them once I have spotted them!)

    ReplyDelete