Saturday 17 May 2014

WW1 Trenches

Here at A&L B&B we like to provide a vacation offering a variety of activities. So yesterday several boxes were ticked, with a morning exploring WW1 trenches in the Alsace, the afternoon eating lunch and wandering in the Alsace, a small dinner party, followed by a night the town.
And although all activities were good fun, I decided to focus this blog on the trenches. I have always wanted to visit them and it was really amazing to see. I could barely go in one for ten seconds, let alone the three years the French and Germans occupied them (their trenches were actually only several meters apart). They were amazingly preserved and quite incredible, I cannot begin to imagine how it must have been in the winters and how terrifying it must have been altogether. 30 000 men lost their lives there, most around the age I teach or slightly older, it was a very sobering morning and I highly recommend a visit.







No comments:

Post a Comment