Thursday 24 November 2011

Rubber Bands for Brains

Today we had an inset (staff development day) at school, which are usually a combination of department meetings and presentations given to make us more effective teachers, and to be honest most of the presentations I have seen I cannot really even remember and do not always take away too much. This morning we had a presentation by Dr. JoAnn Deak about the make up of our brains and how they evolve and change over time. It was fantastic and I will bring a lot of what i learnt today not only into the class room but hopefully my own life. She was a brilliant lecturer who only gave us absolute facts and not her opinions. I think that many people could benefit from hearing the amazing development of our brains, especially people with children under 20 (or if you are under 20). I do not wish to preach on my blog so will not go into great detail, will leave that up to you to look into if interested. Just a couple of facts I learnt:
- our brains are effectively made up of rubber bands, and each of us are born with bands of all different sizes. For instance my 'maths' band, was probably, at birth much bigger than my 'musical' band. This does not mean I could not have been musical, but I would have had to 'stretch' (practicing very hard and often) the music band mainly before 20. I clearly did not stretch this band enough (along with the band that makes one organised and tidy).
- our brains are not fully formed till we are 40, so still some time for me (can still stretch bands after this but increasingly harder, so Dad would not worry about not having the cleaning gene anymore ;) )
- children exposed to different languages before 8, have a much better chance of being able to speak those languages (making learning German a difficult task, but not impossible as i am many many years from 40)
- and she is an expert on self esteem and the brain (possibly explaning why I  check my stats on this blog one hundred times a day ;) )
Anyways, some really great stuff, very interesting, so if you have a moment look her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment